Sunday, February 28, 2016

All lives matter


I had a great time at the 2nd Asterisk conf yesterday. It was amazing to see 600+ young TG and GNC youth and teens including their parents, friends, counsellors and coordinators from various universities and colleges around CA. Some of them may not realize how privileged they are today compared to the days when I was growing up as a gender confused and depressed teen who did not have any support from parents, friends or community. Not even one trans person to talk to. I found solace in my skirts, sunset and tears. Growing up in a conservative and lower middle class family, I used every ounce of my masculinity to hide this girl inside of me to get through High School and college. There were days when I felt like curling up in my soft sari like an embryo to shutoff all possible noise and misconceptions about my gender. I felt that people like me had no hope or future but to just survive or die a lonely death.
By grace of God and with utmost humility, I can say that I am doing much better than I can ask for. I have learned a lot in the past four years and will continue to learn and give back to the community. Something I learnt from my parents.When I was interviewed last week on NBC representing the TG community along with my friends during Melony's murder trial, I knew all that pain,depression, loneliness, abuse, humiliation that I went through in my past was worth it.
It really doesn't matter what race, color, class, gender, culture, religion or ethnicity we belong. We are living in the edge of a historic milestone - transforming lives, transforming people, transforming communities and transforming the world around us.
As a TPOC I can say that “All lives matter for the betterment of our future Trans Generation. Not just black, white, brown or whatever color is out there” God made a rainbow as a promise to mankind. Not fifty shades of gray.
I like the saying...Hope for the best, Prepare for the worst and expect nothing in return. You will never be disappointed. smile emoticon

No comments:

Post a Comment